Cantor’s Corner: Annual Home Maintenance
by Gregg Cantor
Resident Expert, The Home Pro Show
President, Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel
The turning of a new year is a great time to do some annual home maintenance and revisit those pesky once-a-year tasks we often forget about or habitually put off.
Start 2015 knowing your home is in good shape by checking in on these annual home maintenance items:
1. If you have an on demand (tankless) water heater, follow the manufactures instructions and flush out your system.
2. Schedule a furnace & air conditioning inspection.
3. Replace your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
4. Check hot and cold water shut offs at every fixture and the main valve by actually turning them on and off.
5. Have your pool equipment inspected. For salt pools, the capsule and filter should be cleaned.
6. Flush out silt and debris in area drainage lines.
7. Remove debris from rain gutters and downspouts.
8. Pitched roofs should be inspected every 2 years. Flat roofs should be inspected annually.
9. Check weatherstripping and seals on all doors and windows.
10. Detach your dryer vent and vacuum out lint with a shop vac.
If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, our Approved Home Pros are here to help.
Happy New Year, we’ll see you in 2015!