Cantor’s Corner: What is Mini-Split HVAC?
Presented by Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel
by Gregg Cantor
Resident Expert, The Home Pro Show
President, Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel
Already popular in Europe and Asia, mini-split heating and air conditioning is taking the U.S. by storm.
What is a mini-split?
So, what is a mini-split system? Instead of needing to do invasive demolition and retrofitting to install traditional ducting, these systems can be installed with minimal ducting and are zoned to service your entire home or just one room at a time. With an air handler mounted to a wall and pump installed outside your home, mini-split systems are a great alternative to conventional forced air heating and air conditioning.
The advantages of mini-split HVAC systems are:
- Easy installation with little or no repairs necessary.
- Ideal for homes that are historically designated or have little or no attic/sub-floor space.
- They do not require you to give up valuable closet space.
- Extremely efficient and very compatible with solar.
- Cost effective and HERO Program approved.
The most common manufacturer of mini-splits is Fujitsu. For more information on how mini-splits work, check out this article on Fujitsu’s website.