Cantor’s Corner: Better Value and More Options With Custom Cabinets
by Gregg Cantor
Resident Expert, Home Pro Show
President, Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel
Locally crafted custom cabinets are a much better value and the lead time is usually substantially shorter than pre-made cabinets sold at big box stores and home centers.
You may think that pre-made cabinets, also known as modular, are less expensive than custom cabinets. But when you break it down, that is not usually the case. By the time you add all the necessary trim and installation labor, the cost for pre-made cabinets can be greater than locally made custom cabinets.
Advantages of hiring a local custom cabinet firm:
- Design, fabrication, finishing and installation by one company streamlines the process and shortens lead times.
- Cabinets are built to fit your space which maximizes the usable storage area.
- A wider range of doors and finishes to choose from.
- Accessories and features are tailored to fit your personal needs.
- No backordered parts and quicker turn around if there are field conditions that require fabrication.
Disadvantages of modular pre-made cabinets:
- It can sometimes take as long as 8 – 10 weeks for delivery.
- Items are frequently backordered, which can delay installation.
- Cabinet boxes can be damaged in shipping and it takes weeks to get replacements.
- Modular sizing means filler strips must be used during installation, which equates to less usable storage space.
- There are fewer options for specialty cabinets like entertainment centers and wine storage.
I have recommended locally made custom cabinets for over 25 years. Before you limit your options with pre-made cabinets from big box stores or home centers, contact our Approved Home Pro in the field, Imperial Custom Cabinets.