Cantor’s Corner: Household Water Wasters
Presented by Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel
by Gregg Cantor
Resident Expert, The Home Pro Show
President, Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel
Your home is full of water wasters. Most repairs are only a few hundred dollars if completed before there is a major failure. Left alone, you could be wasting hundreds of gallons of water and also risking thousands of dollars in damages caused by flooding.
The top 5 Common Water Wasters
- Toilets with worn out valves and flappers.
- Hose bibs that do not shut off all the way.
- Inefficient water systems where it take too long for hot water to get to the fixture.
- Reverse osmosis water filters.
- Leaky faucets or shower valves.
What’s the Solution?
- Replace worn own toilet valves and flappers. If your toilet is more than 10 years old, it’s time to replace it with a 1.5 gallon water saver unit. You’ll save water and lessen your risk of plumbing failure.
- Replace hose bibs. This easy, inexpensive fix will reduce excess water waste.
- Install a whole hose recirculating pump on a timer. Get your hot water to the shower faster!
- Switch to a single filter Everpure or Bodyglove water purifier.
- Rebuild or replace faucets and shower valves. Some models have a simple replaceable cartridge.
If you’re not sure what you’re looking for, call an Approved Home Pro plumber for an annual whole house plumbing inspection. Being proactive instead of reactive will save you thousands of dollars!